Tree Care Tips: January
- Avoid pruning citrus, ficus, sissoo and other frost-sensitive trees. They still need their outer layer winter protection for a couple more months.
- January and December are great months to trim deciduous trees like Mulberry, elm, ash, desert willow, peach, apple and other deciduous fruit trees.
- Trimming of vigorous evergreens is OK if it’s not too cold and the pruning is not too heavy.
- If necessary you can give trees such as sumacs, eucalyptus, palo verde and mesquites a light semi-annual pruning to keep them safe until heavier pruning in the summer.
- If you plan to spray your olive trees to reduce fruiting, pruning them now before they are sprayed will help give your spray applicator better coverage.